18 September 2005

San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico

Sunrise over Gordo Banks
We usually fish from pangas rented from Gordo Banks Pangas. This morning, we went out with Tony to the outer Gordo banks with mostly light tackle. Wouldn't you know it? Almost immediately after arriving at the outer banks, Walter and I had double hook ups with yellowfin tuna.

We weren't expecting to catch tuna -- I didn't even bring a fighting belt. That means the butt of my rod was jabbed into my groin as I fought a 60+ pound yellowfin tuna using a Newell reel spooled with 50 pound test. I fought him for about 30 minutes. Then Walter helped me out for about 15 minutes. Then I tried again for a few minutes. Then Walter worked it in for a gaff in about another 15 minutes.

After a few more tuna were landed, Walter was ready to try to catch some "small fish". Back on shore, around noon, we had five tuna that to fill my cooler with 70 pounds of tuna fillets.

Los Olas

We stayed in a beachfront condo in the Los Olas complex. It felt really good to return from fishing in the hot Mexican sun to the air conditioned condo to take a cool shower before sipping on frozen marguaritas!

No comments: